The Cancer Information and Support Centre is based on the ground floor next to reception at the Bristol Haematology and Oncology Centre. It is a drop-in centre for anyone whose life has been affected by cancer. The centre, which opened in 1996, is staffed by a manager, assistant and trained volunteers, all of whom have had some personal experience of cancer.
The Cancer Information and Support Centre can give you a wide range of information about:
● Types of cancer
● Treatments and tests
● Health and wellbeing
● Managing stress and anxiety
● Relaxation (including a free CD)
● Exercise and nutrition
● Financial matters
● Travel insurance
● Local and national support groups
● End of life
Cancer usually involves a lot of changes in people's lives, and can be a very stressful time for the person with cancer and those around them. Daily life and relationships may seem to have changed, and some people find it helpful to talk to a trained listener who is not involved in their lives. We provide a friendly, welcoming and confidential service where anyone effected by cancer can talk through their worries or concerns in person or on the telephone.
Other forms of support that can be booked through the centre include:
● Demonstrations and advice on scarf tying provided by Headstart on Wednesdays between 10am-3pm. A variety of hats, scarfs and turbans can also be purchased during the Centre's opening hours.
● Nail care and seated, through-clothing neck, shoulder and hand massage provided free by Red Cross volunteers. These sessions are open to patients, carers and staff.
● Look Good Feel Better make-up workshops offering free advice on skin care and make-up for female patients up to a year after cancer treatment.
● Creative writing sessions for patients and carers are provided for free by an experienced facilitator and writer who has counselling skills.
This organisation provides support around
Is there a cost for these services?
How can people access this service?
|Monday||From 09:00||To 17:00|
|Tuesday||From 09:00||To 17:00|
|Wednesday||From 09:00||To 17:00|
|Thursday||From 09:00||To 17:00|
|Friday||From 09:00||To 17:00|