Link To BrowseAloud - Free Text Reader

Low Vision Resource Symbol


When you are diagnosed with a condition that could lead or has led to blindness or partial sight, it can be difficult to come to terms with or understand it.  These are some of the places where you can get advice, further information and practical support with coping with the changes you are facing.


Action for Blind People

Telephone: 0117 953 7750



Bristol Eye Hospital

The Eye Clinic Liaison Officer (ECLO) is based in the hospital. She is able to give guidance and support, answer your questions and provide information on local services and organisations.  You can drop into see her at the hospital. Alternatively, you can contact her by telephone on 0117 342 3328 or email her at


There is also a special Patient Support Nurse. Sharon Bambrick, Ophthalmic Nurse is available Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays for advice and support for your eye condition. She is someone you can talk to about your eyesight, condition, treatment and how it impacts on you. She is also contactable by telephone on 0117 342 3328.


Royal National Institute of Blind People (RNIB)

RNIB produces a series of booklets on individual eye conditions and coping with daily life. They are available at


VisionPLUS - Bath

VisionPLUS provide advice, information and one-to-one support to people with visual impairment, living in the Bath and North East Somerset (B&NES) area.  Their telephone number is 01225 446555.  Their website is



Registering your sight loss will make it easier to qualify for some allowances and to obtain support from your local social services.


A consultant at your Eye Clinic decides whether or not you qualify for registration. They issue a Certificate of Visual Impairment (CVI) to say that you are either severely sight impaired/blind or sight impaired/partially sighted. This information is passed to your council’s social care team who will then contact you to offer help and advice on services available.


You can ask your GP, Optician or ECLO for advice about registration or you can contact Action for Blind People – their website is


Other Support Organisations

Finally, here are some organisations that offer advice and support for people living with different eye sight conditions and other special circumstances:


Macular Disease Society


British Retinitis Pigmentosa Society – RP Fighting Blindness


UK Keratoconus Self Help and Support Association


International Glaucoma Association


Deafblind UK


Nystagmus Network


Blind Veterans, formerly St Dunstan’s

This organisation provides lifelong support for visually impaired ex-Service men and women. Find out how they can help at:



For deafblind people



For visually impaired people with learning and other disabilities:



Supporting Parents and Carers of children with a visual impairment