- Just over three out of four suicides (76%) are by men and suicide is the biggest cause of death for men under 35
- 12.5% of men in the UK are suffering from one of the common mental health disorders
- Men are nearly three times more likely than women to become alcohol dependent (8.7% of men are alcohol dependent compared to 3.3% of women)
- Men are more likely to use (and die from) illegal drugs
- Men are less likely to access psychological therapies than women. Only 36% of referrals to IAPT (Increasing Access to Psychological Therapies) are men.
(Source: Men's Health Forum, June 2016)
For more stats on mental health and men click here.
To view information about local mental health services and support, please click on one of the following links:
- Services provided by Bristol Mental Health
- Mental Health Groups & Organisations
- Local Mental Health Advocacy
- Mental Health-friendly Sports & Activity Groups
Well Aware Mental Health Information & Resources
You will also find a lot of information, links and downloads in Well Aware's mental health information and resources area. Click here to access this area.
Other Mental Health Organisations
Other mental health organisations and support groups can be found on the Well Aware database. Click here to search Well Aware.