Over the Christmas period, Well Aware will be running a reduced service. We will try to respond to your inquiries as best we can, but in the mean time, we’ve outlined a range of alternative sources of signposting and support you can look to over this period if you can’t reach us. We will be up and running again after the New Year.
Signposting & Support Services
If you are in an emergency situation, please call 999
Call NHS on 111 if you need help urgently, but it is not a life-threatening.
1) Domestic, rape & sexual abuse
- Men – 0808 801 0465 Mondays 11am – 2pm, Tuesday 6pm – 8.30pm
- Women – 0808 801 0456 Mon & Fri 11am – 2pm, Tue, Wed and Thu 6pm – 8:30pm
- 0808 802 9999 They are open every day of the year. 12 – 2.30pm and 7 – 9.30pm
The Bridge, The Sexual Assault Referral Centre in Bristol
- 0117 342 6999 They provide 24/7 telephone support and advice to all survivors of sexual violence, their family and friends.
National Domestic Violence helpline Freephone 24 Hour, DV or HBV
- Women and children 0808 2000 247
- Forced Marriage Unit on +44 (0) 20 7008 0151
Men’s Advice Line Male victims of domestic abuse
- 0808 8010327 Monday and Wednesday 9am-8pm, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday 9am-5pm
Karma Nirvana Forced marriage
- 0800 5999 247 9am – 5pm, Monday to Friday
Action on Elder Abuse older people who are victims of violence or abuse
- 0808 808 8141 freephone Monday to Friday from 9am to 5pm
- 116 123 (National freephone helpline) Open 24/7/365
- 0117 983 1000 (24/7) and drop-in from 07:30-21:00 at 37 St Nicholas Street, BS1 1TP
3) Mental Health
Bristol Mind: Resource for all people in Bristol who identify themselves as having mental health or emotional support needs.
- 0117 980 0370 – Information & Signposting Service. Monday 24 December: Closed from 14:00. Tuesday 25 December – Wednesday 2 January 2019: Closed
- 0808 808 0330 – MindLine. Normal service operating on Wednesday-Sundays, 8pm-midnight.
Bristol & South Gloucestershire Talking Therapies: This is the gateway into Bristol and South Gloucestershire’s NHS-funded primary care mental health service. This service is now provided by a company called VitaMinds.
- 0333 200 1893. 8am – 8pm Monday – Friday, 9.30am – 12.30pm Saturday
Mental Health Crisis Team: BMH support/crisis service provides high-quality 24/7 support to people experiencing an extreme mental health or emotional crisis that requires help.
- 0300 555 0334 – if you need immediate help, this line is open 24 hours a day, every day, and calls are charged at local rate.
- 0117 919 5670 – If you have a routine enquiry, call 0117 919 5670 from 8am-8pm.
Bristol Changes – Offering free weekly peer support groups for anyone suffering from mental health problems such as depression and anxiety in Bristol and the surrounding areas.
Rethink Mental Illness – Rethink Mental Illness provides a range of services in the South West and throughout England to offer support and advice to everyone affected by mental illness. Our services provided include: Bristol Supported Housing & Floating Support, Bristol Carers Service, Bristol Black & Minority Ethnic Service, Bath & NE Somerset Carers Support, Bath & NE Floating Support, South Gloucestershire Community Services
WECIL – WECIL (The West of England Centre for Inclusive Living) is a charity run by and for disabled people, which supports over 4,000 people in Bristol & the surrounding areas every year. WECIL provides a wide range of services which support disabled people in different areas of their lives.
The Hive Avon – The Hive Avon works with people with learning disabilities and autism, their parents and carers across Bristol, South Gloucestershire and surrounding areas.
Vision West of England – Vision West of England are a sight loss charity delivering services across Bristol, Bath and South Gloucestershire to blind and partially sighted people.
Centre for Deaf and Hard of Hearing People – here for all Deaf or Hard of Hearing people in the Bristol area, as well as their friends and families.
Dementia UK – Dementia UK provides specialist dementia support for families through our Admiral Nurse service.
Carers Support Centre – Carers Support Centre provides a range of services for carers of all ages.
Rethink Mental Illness Carers Service – supporting those caring for those with mental illness/health issues.
8) Drugs & Alcohol
Bristol Drugs Project: BDP provides a range of free and confidential services to anyone concerned about their own or someone else’s drug use, with the aim of reducing drug related harm to individuals, their carers, and the community.
- 0117 987 6000 – opening times can be found here.
- 0117 916 6588 – Bristol – 9.30am – 4.30pm Monday – Friday
- 01454 868750 – South Gloucestershire – 9.30am – 4.30pm Monday – Friday
9) Food, Housing, Homelessness
Shelter – Advice and specialist help for homeless people and anyone with housing problems. Subjects covered include rent or mortgage arrears and repossessions, rent increases, disrepair, illegal eviction and harassment, benefits for housing costs.
Shelter Emergency line – Nowhere to sleep or might be homeless soon, at risk of harm
- 0808 800 4444 8am – 8pm on weekdays, 9am – 5pm on weekends
CHAS – Focusing on tackling issues of homelessness and unsuitable housing, CHAS is a charity dedicated to providing lasting solutions to people in housing crisis. By providing high quality housing advice and support, we aim to improve lives in the Bristol community.
Centre for Sustainable Energy – The Home Energy Team at CSE offers free and impartial energy saving advice to help people reduce their energy bills, make their home warmer and more comfortable.
Trussell Trust find a foodbank (use postcode).
We Care Home Improvements – provides home improvement and repair services in the Bristol, Bath and North East Somerset, North Somerset, Gloucestershire and South Gloucestershire. Subsidised for older and disabled people.
SG Handy Van Scheme – Our Handyvan team can offer an extra pair of hands to make your life easier, carrying out both small and larger jobs around the home and garden. The services are available to all residents of South Gloucestershire. There are subsidised rates for home owners and private tenants who are over 60 years old and/or registered disabled for Home Maintenance.
10) Council Services
Bristol City Council
- Local crisis and prevention fund emergency payments for food/energy. 0117 922 4500 Monday to Friday, 9am to 12noon
- Care Direct Bristol Adult Social Care. Call this for any issue around Care Assessments, social workers, home improvements for elderly or disabled people, etc. 0117 922 2700
- Out of hours. Emergency Duty Team Social care emergency that cannot wait until the next working day. 01454 615165
South Gloucestershire Council
- SG Adult Social Care 01454 868007
- Emergency rapid response resident with a personal care crisis. 01454 615047 from 8am to 10:15pm, 365 days
- Outside of these hours. Emergency Duty Team Social care emergency that cannot wait until the next working day. 01454 615165
- Welfare Grant Scheme emergency funding. 01454 868899 8:45am and 2pm Monday-Friday
11) Other services
National Gas Emergency service smell gas?
- 0800 111 999 24 hrs
- Open all doors and windows
- Don’t use naked flames
- Don’t use mobile phones
- Don’t turn electrical switches on or off
Electricity for power cuts
- 105 – 24 hrs, will connect to local operator
Advocacy – for a list of advocacy services, click here.
Community Transport – For information on available community transport, click here.