Large green spaces on the edge of the city suitable for picnics, exercise, sport and events.
Admission and opening times
There is no charge for admission. The Downs is open at all times. Access may be restricted for special events.
There is no dedicated car park. Find out where to park in Bristol.
To find out about accessibility at The Downs, you can look at an access guide on DisabledGo.
Facilities and features
- Café Retreat
- toilets and baby changing facilities at Sea Walls (on Circular Road)
- urinals at Blackboy Hill
- benches and picnic areas
- children’s playground on Sion Hill
- BBQ area on Ladies Mile (pdf, 3.8MB) (opens new window) , you can only BBQ on the flagstones set into the signposted area
- six outdoor exercise stations
- football pitches and changing rooms
- Avon Gorge
- Clifton Down Camp, an Iron Age hillfort near the Clifton Observatory
- Clifton Observatory, camera obscura and cave
- Roman Road on Durdham Downs
- parts of The Downs are scheduled ancient monuments
The Downs Committee
This is a group that manages The Downs and makes decisions about the area and events held there. Members are Merchant Venturers, councillors and council officers. You can look at agendas, minutes and reports from Downs Commitee meetings.
The Avon Gorge and Downs Wildlife project
This is a group of organisations that support the wildlife in the park and run events and tours. For more information visit the Avon Gorge and Downs Wildlife Project website.
The Friends of The Downs and Avon Gorge is a community group that supports the park. For more information or to join visit the Friends of The Downs and Avon Gorge website.
There is an off-road cycle path from Saville Road to Stoke Road. You can’t cycle on footpaths, woodland and grass areas of The Downs.
You can ride horses around the football pitches except on Sundays and bank holidays. You can’t ride horses on the football areas or the area from Bridge Valley Road to the Clifton Suspension Bridge.
The Downs is exposed, which is good for flying kites.
Outdoor fitness sessions
There are sessions run by:
Nordic walking is outdoor fitness walking using specially designed poles. Find out about sessions at the Downs at the Bristol Nordic Walking website.
You can download our walking routes:
1.4 miles (1 hour)
0.4 miles (30 minutes)
0.7 miles (30 minutes)
1.4 miles (1 hour)
Seasonal family trails
Wildlife on the Downs
Awards and heritage
- Regionally Important Geological and Geomorphological Site: an important place for geology and geomorphology
- Site of nature conservation interest: protected area of importance for wildlife
- Dark Sky Discovery Site: a good place to look at the night sky
Upcoming events, groups & activities
|Sensory Impairment Team Drop-In at BCL-South||7th September, 2020|
|Sensory Impairment Team Drop-In at Bedminster Library||9th September, 2020|
|Sensory Impairment Team Drop-In at Bedminster Library.||4th September, 2020|
The Care Forum does not provide quality control of external links; the inclusion of any company’s name within the pages should not be construed as a recommendation of that organisation's products and / or services. If you find anything that causes concern, please email us at email@example.com or telephone us on 0808 808 5252 or write to The Care Forum, The Vassall Centre, Gill Avenue, Fishponds, Bristol BS16 2QQ.