The Free Representation Unit (FRU) is a charity that provides legal advice, case preparation and advocacy in employment, social security, and some criminal injury compensation tribunal cases. Our clients could not otherwise obtain legal support for want of personal means and public funding. To provide our service we train volunteer law students and legal professionals in the early stages of their career in the skills required to give confident and competent support for the rights of others. Our volunteer reps give their time for free, so whilst we try our best to cover as many cases as possible, we cannot always guarantee representation.There are about 270 volunteer representatives active in any year, most of whom are required to run their cases through our offices.
FRU provides representation in:
* Employment tribunals (and the Employment Appeal Tribunal);
* Benefit appeals in the first-tier tribunal (and Upper Tribunal);
* Criminal injury compensation cases in the first-tier tribunal (and Upper Tribunal).
We can only assist you if:
* You have a hearing date at a tribunal in London and the South East (or Nottingham);
* Your case is referred to us by one of our referral agencies. We cannot take referrals directly from a member of the public.